Silagiu village (or Silaj, Hungarian Szilas or Nagyszilas) was attested documentary for the first time in 1406. It is a place where the growing of vines is so deeply permeated in the people’s consciousness that even the symbol that represents this village is a cluster of grape. Silagiu has a hilly terrain, highly productive, where the people grow vines. Thus, it belongs to one of the five wine-growing centers of Banat, the wine-growing region around Buzias. It is also known as “the village sitting on three valleys”.
In village tradition, the legend says the priest Zilagi or Silagi, who came from Transylvania, is the one who founded Silagiu. Another story tells about an outlaw from Salaj, named Moise Silăgeanu or Sălăgeanu, who would have been unified the spaced hamlets in a single village.
Over time, it was under Ottoman suzerainty of Banat, then it belonged to the Transylvania Principalities. After the conquest of Banat by the Austrians, Banat became the Serbian Vojvodina and Timisan Banat, having German as official language and between 1840-1850, here have settled the German and Hungarian colonies.
Although the vines are grown at Silagiu from the most ancient times, in 1895 there are brought in this region noble grape varieties: Italian Riesling, Creata, Muscat Ottonel, Muscat Hamburg, red and white Schiller, Razachel, Silvaner. The productivity grows and the wine of Silagiu becomes more appreciated and wanted. In 1919 Silagiu had approximately 579 ha of vines. The wines of Silagiu have been for a long time the most appreciated in this region.
Today, Thesaurus revived this tradition, this treasure from Silagiu soils, wanting to offer to the connoisseurs one of the finest Romanian wines.